Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I Hear California's Got Itself A Budget Deal

And It's worse than I could have dreamed of in a nightmare.
I'm posting this where I can:


TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION.

This unexpectedly short-sighted budget deal spits in the face of everything about which I have written the Governor and my representatives. My concern for the fragility of the state economy, and high unemployment, were given the collective Bronx cheer with a dangerously contractionary, all-cuts budget, right smack in the middle of the "Great Recession." I have lost count of the folks I know who have lost their jobs, but why should politicians care? No one is laying them off.

My concern for future economic and social instability resulting from growing income inequality? Icily ignored, with giveaways to oil companies without even the tax on extraction which every other state which produces oil has, and preservation of the most recent corporate tax cut giveaways in the billions, as well. Oh, you weren't aware that we had recent tax cuts for big corporations, which couldn't possibly be rescinded to help balance the budget because...well, just because?

My moral and religious conviction that balancing the budget on the backs of the poor, the sick, the frail elderly, children, and citizens of the future to pay our bills of today is WRONG...my concern that the pool of educated workers which once attracted business to our state is being killed off like the goose which laid the golden eggs...

And my horror at seeing the seduction of the people who are too busy to see through snake oil salesmen, who work longer hours than citizens of any other country, who are being told that they don't have to pay taxes to preserve a functioning government and civilization; it's just that illegal aliens and welfare cheats are taking their hard-earned money...this is called a Big Lie and the scapegoating technique was made very famous in the last century by a pretty horrific historical figure whose last name began with "H"...

But representatives seemingly care nothing about any of this. Despite being reputedly the highest-paid ones in the nation.

In fact, they have done what they could to worsen these situations, on every point. And to reassure me about my night terrors, the ones I get about more wildfires, I note that the scoundrels raided the local coffers to take away the funds we need for things like fire and police protection? I would have paid some taxes, you know. I'm not a blithering idiot who believes that the magic money fairy will come and pay off the bond debt my own generation racked up, or the costs of the new hotter and drier climate.

Oh, well, ok. I am not being represented at all. I don't even get the courtesy of form letters in reply to my own. I vote for moderates, but what happens to them? Bribes? Blackmail? They are turned to Borg drones? Whatever. Please immediately exempt me from paying all state taxes until I have representation. Move over, "tea party" organizers (what do you PUT in that tea? Kool-Aid?) I get my spot on the lawn in front of the government building as well.

My passionate political support will go to any and all legislators, regardless of party affiliation, who have the cajones to vote NO to this noisome abortion of a budget, a sickening, slimy backroom deal.. And you know what? It's time to recall everyone who votes to pass it.

Giving in to bullies is never the best choice. That's a "girly man" thing to do.

Nor is giving more to the extremely wealthy and telling lies to the rest of us a mark of genius. For one thing, not everyone falls for those lies. Surprise! You heard it here first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit Counter